Thursday, 29 September 2011

Sloth sketches

To understand the anatomy of a sloth better I decided to start of with sketches of its body parts. I mainly focused on the arms and the head as they are both most extraordinary. I studied their huge hooked claws and long arms that allow them to spend most of their time hanging upside-down from trees. I had few problems with the fur as its color varies from green to brown and white I found out that sloths fur serves them as an effective camouflage, because each individual hair contains a groove which hold blue-green algae. During the rainy season, this algae population in a sloths fur multiplies, giving the sloth a mossy-green color.


I did some practice in Painter 11 and tried to draw two types of Sloths. I think that drawing fur is very difficult, I found a suitable brush that helped me to achieve fur effect but the hair looks a bit stiff and unreal, I need to spend more time trying out different techniques of achieving fur as I want my creature to be furry.

1 comment: