Friday, 16 November 2012

Character Design: Target Audience Research

The genre of my character designs is adventure, fantasy and mystery, I based it on the two words I got which were: mythic and pirates. I have looked in more depth at films with similar genre. The first film that came to my mind is Disney's 'Treasure Planet' (2002) the story also involves pirate adventures. The film is based on the very well known novel 'Treasure Island' except that everything happens in the outer space with mechanical cyborgs and ships, which makes the basic story much more interesting visually. Films category is U, which means suitable for all and should be appropriate for audiences aged four years and over.

Another film that I have looked at is  'Percy Jackson & the Lightning Thief' (2010) which tells a story of a teenager who discovered he's the descendant of a Greek god and sets out on an adventure to settle an on-going battle between gods. This film also fits the genre I'm working in very well. It's all about adventure, mythic Gods and mystery. The film was categorised as PG (Parental Guidance) which means general viewing, but some scenes may be unsuitable for younger children, film should not disturb a child aged around 8 or older.
At first I couldn't decide what category would be the most appropriate for my characters but after looking at 'Treasure Planet' and 'Percy Jackson & the Lighting Thief' I decided to go for PG as my story contains a lot of fighting scenes and violence that might be inappropriate for children below age of 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment